Six additional companies have been approved for proof-of-concept projects through Digital Sandbox KC advisory team. Digital Sandbox KC provides proof-of-concept resources to support early-stage commercialization processes.
Since February Digital Sandbox KC has worked with more than 150 companies and has funded projects for more than 40 area technology startups.
“When we launched Digital Sandbox, our stated goals were to develop proof of concept projects for at least 30 early-stage companies and help at least 10 secure significant revenues or investment funding over the two-year grant cycle” said Jeff Shackelford, director of Digital Sandbox KC. “We are well on our way to that goal.”
The most recent six companies approved for projects are:
- BigBang is a backend as a service (BaaS) platform for developing real-time applications for mobile devices, desktops and the web. BigBang reduces complexity by providing developers with a streamlined API that allows them to build scalable applications without maintaining servers or infrastructure. Proof of concept funding from Digital Sandbox KC will help expand the number of programming languages supported by the API and provide technical documentation.
- ClaimJockey files and manages long term care insurance claims for families and care providers, helping them access funds for needed care. ClaimJockey has a 90% success rate in having claims accepted the first filing. With the help of Digital Sandbox KC, ClaimJockey will build a new website that can be linked to their HIPAA-compliant database.
- Genneo gives people the tool to convert their own natural movement into battery charge for phones and other electronic devices. A new kind of generator that moves with the person, Genneo allows users to be less dependent on the power grid when using mobile electronics. The Digital Sandbox KC project will support a beta test build of up to 50 model G3000 units for field testing as a final step before launching Genneo branded products later this year.
- Phisionary is developing United Benefits Portal, a web application that allows union members to access their fringe benefits information and provides an avenue for contractors to securely pay their union contributions online. Simplifying the backend operations of union management leaves administrators more time for recruiting and growth. Digital Sandbox KC project funding will enable the company to develop a beta version of the company’s online app.
- Your Adoption Finance Coach provides adoption agencies and professionals with resources to address the high cost of adoption. The Adoption Finance Coaching System is a web-based, licensed training system that provides online tools and financial solutions for adoptive families. Digital Sandbox KC assistance will help the company add new services to the current system and build a new gift registry feature.
- Zorilla Research is changing the way commercial pharmaceuticals are developed by using computational technology that predicts problem interactions of a drug in the early stages of development. This enables the developing company to repurpose failed compounds earlier in the process and prevent costly late-stage drug trial failures. With project funding from Digital Sandbox KC, Zorilla Research will move its SABLE software to a high-powered, cloud environment and develop a user-friendly interface for interaction with clients.
With the selection of these companies, the advisory board appropriated the last of Digital Sandbox’s initial funds. The Digital Sandbox team is currently working on raising additional resources for the continuation of the program.
While Sandbox fundraising is progressing, those interested in keeping or making an appointment to present to the Digital Sandbox KC Evaluation Team may still do so. These presentations can function as practice in pitching to investors, provide invaluable feedback on initial concepts and connect businesses to other valuable resources.
“It’s clear that the Digital Sandbox’s proof of concept funding fills a need in the marketplace,” said Shackelford. “We’ve seen some amazing companies come out of the woodwork to pursue these early stage project funds, and we are working very hard to continue what we’ve started. In the meantime, we can offer great connections and solid resources to startup tech companies.”
For more information about Digital Sandbox KC, go to www.digitalsandboxkc.com.
Digital Sandbox KC is an unprecedented partnership among private companies, universities, entrepreneurial support organizations and government agencies across the Kansas City region designed to spur the creation of high growth companies. Digital Sandbox KC provides proof of concept resources including market validation, prototyping and beta testing support for development of digital technologies within new and existing businesses. Initial funding came through a $1 million federal i6 Challenge Grant for a proof of concept center.
The Sandbox was developed by KCSourceLink through the collaboration of partners such as: corporate (Sprint, Hallmark, UMB, VML, Cerner, RareWire, SparkLabKC), academic (UMKC, University of Kansas), nonprofit (Enterprise Center of Johnson County; Kansas City Area Life Sciences Institute; Union Station, Inc.; KCNext), public (Missouri Technology Corporation, Mayors’ Bistate Innovation Team, Economic Development Corp. of KC) and philanthropic (Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation).