Who Can Submit an Idea
Digital Sandbox KC provides critical proof-of-concept funding, mentoring, and connections to help founders build viable innovations ready for follow-on funding. Since our program’s inception in 2013, The Sandbox has provided project development funding for 148 area startups, which has spurred $154 million in total follow-on funding.
Digital Sandbox awards project grants four times a year. Of the companies funded in 2020, 33% were women, while 60% were entrepreneurs of color.
Ideas from people and businesses based in Overland Park, Olathe and the Missouri portions of the 14-county Kansas City Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) are eligible to receive project financing. Until October 2022, Digital Sandbox KC is accepting ideas* being developed in response to COVID relief from the 22-county Combined Statistical Area (CSA). Solutions in the following areas are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Digital Equity
- Education Technology
- Health Technology
*All ideas, regardless of industry, are eligible so long as they fit within the parameters listed above.
Digital Sandbox KC is best positioned to help companies that:
- Have a significant IT/digital component
- Have disruptive technologies/clear competitive advantages
- Are building platform technologies, enabling the development of future products and processes
- Are local and plan to stay local
- Have strong, clearly defined management teams
- Are not already in the marketplace
- Need first in funding
- Have a project of some sort standing between them
Curious about what makes a successful pitch to the Sandbox? Download our "How to Pitch to the Sandbox" deck here